Friday 19 April 2019

Science Club: making soap and bath bombs


Hands-on activities provide the best opportunities for students to learn new skills. When designing the scheme of work for my Science Clubs, I like to include a session on soap and bath bombs making. It's a great opportunity to make links between science and real life applications. Below are my tried and tested ways of delivering the session.

Soap making

Here are the ingredients to make soap:
- 100 ml liquid soap/shower gel
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 20 g gelatin
- 100 ml water
- optional: oats (this will scrub away dead skin cells)

To make your soap, dissolve the gelatin in in hot water. Once cooled down, mix well with your liquid soap or shower gel and pour into molds.





Bath bombs 

The recipe that has worked the best for me is the following one I came across when I was ordering the ingredients for the session:








I hope you're going to try this with your students.

Click here for my Science Club Scheme of Work.

I wish you great lessons!

Karolina

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am truly excited incidentally you described out whatever. It is actually going to help me a whole lot. Thanks for sharing your ideas so plainly.
    Miracle II Moisturizing Soap Gallon

    ReplyDelete

Osmosis - biology demo

Over the summer break I managed to complete a few courses on Future Learn .One of them touched on the topic of osmosis. I mentioned last yea...