Friday 22 February 2019

Candle making session

 
There are times in the year when your science club students may ask you to do something different than a typical chemistry experiment. In those moments I like to do a candle making session.

I use paraffin wax pellets as they melt easily. Beeswax is also an option but it will already give you colour.



Add wax crayons for colour. I also use soft drink cans to melt the wax in as this safes me trouble of spending hours to wash the glass beakers.



If you want, you can aslo add essential oils to your melted wax.

 
Once the wax is melted, use the hot glue gun to secure the wick and pour the wax in. If you decide to have layered candles, ensure you have enough time for each layer to cool.





 
As you can see in the pictures, I use splints to make sure the wick stays straight. 

How can you introduce science to this session?

- wax is a hydrocarbon
- lighted wick melts the wax
- capillary action draws the liquid wax up the wick
- burning candle = complete combusion

More information - click here

I wish you great lessons!

Karolina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Osmosis - biology demo

Over the summer break I managed to complete a few courses on Future Learn .One of them touched on the topic of osmosis. I mentioned last yea...